Thursday, April 2, 2015

ID Budget Resources


Recently I was asked to conduct an online search to locate resources to aid those in the instructional design field with planning a budget for a project.  The first resource http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/costs.html I came across, entitled “Estimating Costs and Time in Instructional Design,” is a great resource for this.  The blog explains how estimate training and development hours, breaks down estimated times spent with multimedia presentations, estimates instructor preparation time, and includes tools to help estimate costs in Excel. 

Further into my search I located http://www.remote-learner.net/blog/bid/89580/Budgeting-for-eLearning-Course-Development. This resource caught my eye over many others because it shows the ADDIE model and how much time will need to be allocated to each portion of this model.  Budgeting for each step of the ADDIE model would be helpful to the designer.  This website is geared toward eLearning course development, but some designers may take their career paths this direction.

 

Resources



A Big Dog, Little Dog and Knowledge Jump Production. (2010). Estimating Costs and Time in Instructional Design.  Retrieved from http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/costs.html
 
Remote-Learner:  Innovation in Learning Services. (2014).  Budgeting for eLearning Course Development.  Retrieved from http://www.remote-learner.net/blog/bid/89580/Budgeting-for-eLearning-Course-Development

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Jenny,

    I love the Big Dog & Little Dog website. I find it so helpful that they include ratios for the different types of instruction. After looking around the site some more, I found that each page is incredibly useful and all-encompassing for the analysis phase of ADDIE. The longer I am in the field of instructional design, the more comfortable I become with it, so it's nice to have a sort of checklist on this page to remind me of all the parts that need to be completed.

    I also really enjoyed looking through the Remote Learner site. I like how it makes the percentage of the budget very clear for each stage of ADDIE. While I don't think those numbers will always ring true, it's good to have a starting place when planning a budget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny,

    I too used Don Clark's Big Dog and Little Dog's Performance Juxtaposition for this weeks assignment. In fact I have referred to this resource quite often through out this program. I like the graphic concept maps and the variety of technology resources that he offers. Also, you are right to say however, that you don't feel that the numbers will always ring true. I feel that those factors can change dramatically with the rise and fall of economy and market factors.

    Kevin.

    ReplyDelete